Sunday, January 26, 2014

Hand Lettering, custom work, illustration

I have not been in the studio much this past year, I do miss the making. I have however,  been sketching madly and designing new cards, prints,  fabric & wrapping papers. I have also been doing some design work for brides and grooms, expectant moms, and new moms. Such fun. I really like the process of working with clients. Some have a very clear vision, some none at all and some think they do. As we follow that vision, they often decide that they are not loving that direction. I like to meet with clients first to get a sense of who they are. I try to grab a sense of their style by he way they dress, talk, color choices and just their general essence. I just delivered wedding invitations Friday to happy clients. The process was fun, here is where we started.
I thought a little story about them would be a sweet invite...


K & J Liked the idea, so I did a quick mock up on the computer



They liked the idea, but not totally smitten.   I had visions of hand lettered loveliness for the above, 
but then had another idea...sketched and sent it off...


K & J liked where I was going , so I went!


I drew a few  few more sketches and hand lettered.


K & J liked this, but wondered if trees might be heart shaped- ish...
another sketch to see if I was heading in the tight direction


YES! Below is final drawing before I scanned into computer and colored. 
K & J originally wanted cream card stock, but I liked trees bright white, I suggested a lovely green which would go lovely with the brides muted color choices.
below:
invite, 
 RSVP Postcard choices:



Below are the final invites. It warms my heart to  able to  make the bride & groom happy. Wedding invites send a beautiful message...I am thrilled they asked me to be a small part of it.






2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Loved seeing the process!

lisa said...

Great view of the process, Sue! And I love, love, love the invites. Where were you when John and I were getting hitched?